Friday, March 27, 2015

A Spring Playlist

via
  
   I like to listen to music while I plan my stories; songs can provide either pretty background noise or inspiration for a specific scene (and I need both). I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorites from this month--expect a lot of soundtracks and an obscene amount of Celtic music.

Wide open spaces, the outdoors, a feeling of openness. That’s about the best I can describe this one—it’s a song about possibilities (or at least I think it is).

A really old favorite—Aragorn and Arwen’s theme from The Lord of the Rings.

From the movie Dear Frankie; it’s sweet and upbeat but also very soothing.

I first discovered this one through The Blacklist.

My favorite cover of a particularly bittersweet folk song. I listen to it when I’m planning ending/parting scenes.

Another folk song. Dark, tragic, and completely unearthly.

The main theme for The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends; it’s a lot less sugary-sweet than you’d expect but still quite whimsical.

The Secret of Roan Inish was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. Nothing captures the haunting, half-magical feel of the story better than this song. I can't listen to it without getting chills.

You can find this in the CD soundtrack of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but not in the actual movie. "Where" deals with the sad/angsty aspects of leaving a fantasy world, something the books (at least The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) never quite got around to.

An essential when I’m planning adventure/fantasy. 

   What have you been listening to this March? Any favorites? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I also listen to music when writing -- really helps to build atmosphere. And aieeee so many fav movie tracks here. Arwen/Aragorn theme, even though I will ship Legolas/Aragorn forever. And Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. OHHH and the folk songs -- such ethereal beauty. Are you on 8tracks/Spotify/other music playlist site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on 8tracks, though I haven't made any playlists yet. I'm also on Spotify, which I use a lot more--it's by far and away my favorite site for finding new music. Plus, even though I enjoy making playlists, it's hard for me to organize them around a single theme since I'm such a perfectionist.
      I adore Aragorn and Arwen's theme, even though they never really worked for me as a couple--I prefer Eowyn and Aragorn. (Not that I minded when Eowyn got together with Faramir; he's a sweetheart.)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, these are great. I myself am a big fan of listening to Celtic music while I write (but Enya is fantastic, too!) Also, the Narnia movies have amazing soundtracks, so I can't argue with you there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Narnia soundtracks are some of my absolute favorites. They capture a particular feeling of wonder that makes me feel about ten times more creative; the same goes for Celtic music. And it's always great to find a fellow Enya fan :)

      Delete