Monday, June 15, 2015

My 4 Greatest Writing Weaknesses

via
  
    Hey guys! A while back I wrote a post on the eight essentials to my writing process. I thought another writing-related list would be fun, and, honestly, I’m at a point where I could do with a good, cleansing rant about EVERYTHING that’s wrong with the way I write. I decided to go with my four greatest weaknesses, but this obviously isn’t a complete list :) 

1. Motivation
 I’m lazy. Really, really lazy. Motivating myself to finish a first draft is hard enough, but once I get to the last page—if I get to the last page—my will power to actually fix the thing is pretty much shot. I know lots of writers prefer editing to writing the first draft, but at least during the first draft I don’t have to worry about whether it’s any good or not….
 
2.  Fear
I can’t write without constantly worrying—I’ve screwed up way too many stories for that. When I’m not worrying about my writing ability, I worry about my ideas, and when I’m not worrying about my ideas, I worry about the kind of pens and paper I’m using (really!). How-to books and websites are pure poison right before I start drafting; I stress over inciting incidents and original concepts until my inspiration is completely sapped.  
 
3.   Routine
 I used to make sure to write two pages of each of my projects every day after school. This was when I first started writing semi-seriously, and even though all of those projects sucked, I was productive and happy. I haven’t had much of a regular writing routine since. It’s something I’d like to start again but never have.
 
4. Comparison
 I compare myself to every other writer I meet and secretly think they’re so much happier/more talented/more productive/more likely to get published than I am. Truth is, I’m pretty sure we all feel terrible. 
   
   Misery loves company! What are your biggest writing weaknesses?

12 comments:

  1. I've actually pretty much gotten over the phase where I can't get words down. It's now more of the fact they are not very good words, which leads to intense comparison because ARGH how do other people even have such brilliant plots and such? Motivation for first drafts is really much easier than revisions, because you tell yourself, "I write two pages today. Do not care about quality. Just write." But revisions -- you can't do that. They have to be *good* two pages, and you just want to go to sleep and/or watch TV. :S

    I often feel like I read so many writing blogs, but I only really figure out what I've done wrong until I've written a complete ms. Like, for my first ms I had no concept of stakes. For my second one I was lacking in voice. I have no idea what's going to happen in the next one. So I suppose I'll just have to write it and go back to mourning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right--no matter how much I read up on craft and structure and such, I can never predict what will go wrong with my stories. This might be one reason why editing is so overwhelming for me. And I love first drafts because there's no pressure to make it good, or even readable--you just have to get it all out.

      Delete
  2. It's like you know my own weaknesses... Like... This is me, exactly. I'm rarely motivated to write and I'm not very attentive when I do. I'm always embarrassed of my own writing, which ties right into the comparison, and I do that frequently as well. And, I have no writing routine. *nods* It's all just... that kind of struggle. Still, what you said described me exactly. :/ I need to work on these, quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might sound horrible, but I'm SO GLAD there's someone who struggles with the same problems that I do! I get stuck thinking that I'm the only one with these weaknesses, and that there's no way I'll get over them or get any better. I'm slowly trying to get back into a writing routine, though...it's not much but it's a start :)

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh. I was reading through this post and everything had me going, "Same, Alex. SAME." I think these could be described as my writerly fatal flaws. (Although I'm not great at coming up with plots, and my writing can get really wordy, and the list goes on...)

    But misery does indeed love company, and I'm glad you opened up about your writing struggles! I, for one, can totally sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm not a fantastic plotter, either. It's always been hard for me to take events and string them together, especially since I tend to come up with characters and settings first.

      Delete
  4. I think comparison is my biggest flaw! But all these things are natural and normal to all artists, even the great one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, comparison is the worst. I always seem to forget that everybody does it, and nobody ever thinks they're good enough. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. My feelings EXACTLY.
    1. I love editing, but what I think I truly love is the idea of editing because whenever it comes down to edit, I feel so overwhelmed at the thought. It's truly hard work-especially because I'm so critical of myself that I feel as if my work can never be edited enough. And that makes it harder to let go of it.
    2. Fear pretty much plagues everything I do. It's mostly fear of failure, and that fear leads to a ton of procrastination, which of course makes me fear failure even more. Oh, it's a vicious cycle.
    3. I really want to settle into more of a routine. School made everything crazy, but now that it's summer, I have no excuse to get with an organized writing routine.
    4. Yep, I'm pretty convinced that every writer compares his/herself to another writer and worries that they'll never be good enough. I know I do that ALL. THE. TIME.

    In short, I'm glad that we share the same weaknesses, because it makes me feel a lot better about this whole writing thing. Thanks for the post, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the idea of editing is so much easier than the reality of it...especially since I'm always worrying that I'm making my story worse, not better! And procrastination--I procrastinate over EVERYTHING. You're right; it's a vicious cycle.
      I'm so glad my post helped you feel better about writing! I just wanted to vent, so it's great to know that it's actually doing some good. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I'm afraid motivation is my struggle in all things . . . xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Especially in writing, though, since it's such a personal thing for me. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete