Saturday, November 21, 2015

WIP Tag: A Forest of Bones

    Hey guys! I swiped this tag from Joni and modified it to fit one of my current WIPs, a short story retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I’ve been thinking of posting it on Figment once it’s done, but for now I thought it would be cool to share a few bits of the process.

How many words are you up to so far? How long is your story going to be?
The first draft is 3,024 words long. It’ll probably get a little longer once I flesh things out in the second draft.

What (if any) are some images you’re drawing inspiration from for your story?
I love the whole rococo/baroque type look, plus traditional fairy tale illustrations:
   Rococo  Versailles Door Paris Photograph by EyePoetryPhotography, etsy:   Baroque http://baroque-ladies.tumblr.com/:
            :  Kay Nielsen - from Twelve Dancing Princesses:

Music?
Not usually for short stories.

Do you have any other writing rituals/inspirations for this project?
Well, I wrote all but the first paragraph and the last two pages of the first draft in one day. I wrote the first paragraph at something like 12:30 the night before.
I’ve had this idea in my head for a long time—almost a year, I think. Very early on I knew the title and the last sentence, but it wasn’t until a couple of days ago that the plot finally started to come together. So you could say that the idea of finally being able to day, “I did it!” was a big motivator for me.

Pantsing or planning? 
Pantsing.

Share one prop from your draft:
A turnip-headed doll.

One character name:
Amity

And lastly, share one sentence from your rough draft:

When he asks where they've been going, Noble says, “Under the floor.”

All pictures via Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. This sounds so cool! I love hearing about other peoples' writing projects, since I love to share mine as well :) will we ever be able to read this story? Because I SO volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll (hopefully) by posting it on Figment once it's finished. I'm glad you enjoyed this posts--I love reading about your projects, as well :)

      Delete
  2. OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE. I seriously need this retelling, so do let us know once it's posted! A turnip-headed doll sounds fascinating and that line is just SUPERB. Plus, short stories from a burst of inspiration always have this magic about them. Super excited to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the snippet! I'm super excited to get started on the second draft, but also nervous, as usual. I hope I'll be able to put it up soon--thanks so much for your encouragement (it means a lot).

      Delete
  3. Um... I need to read this.
    Seriously, I'm savoring every detail you've given in this post and I NEED TO READ THIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, thank you :)
      I've just finished the second draft, so I'll probably be going over it at least once more before I post it. Writing it has been lovely, and I'm excited to share it with you!

      Delete