Friday, July 15, 2016

Publication News: "Salty Tea and the Sea"

Photograph nymph by elena strawberry on 500px:
via
My selkie-inspired story, Salty Tea and the Sea, is out today. It’s a short (just under 2,000 words) piece about families reuniting, fairy tales, and, of course, tea. I’ve wanted to write a selkie story for ages, and this one couldn’t have been published in a nicer magazine. Kith Issue 03 is full of other food-themed fantasy stories, so do go check it out if you’re interested!

There’s a sense of loss, loneliness, and mystery to selkie folklore that’s always inspired me, and I hope it comes across in my own story. In hindsight, another big inspiration was Jane Yolen’s poem The Selchie’s Children’s Plaint, especially these lines: But Mama goes first, leaving us/ with only a box empty of promises/ and a cold kitchen.

You can find my story here.

10 comments:

  1. Ahhh, this sounds brilliant! I'll absolutely go check it out :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD. I'm definitely going to check it out. That's so cool that you got it published!

    - Autumn
    Autumn's Readings & Writings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting it published! I'll save this for my lunch and read it then. :) Thanks for sharing your work with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had lunch and I read it and this is such a fascinating story... I love how it's about love and daughters and letting go and salty food. Aw. Alex, good job. *smiles happily*

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Heather! When I was drafting this story, I had really mixed feelings and wasn't sure if the final product worked or not, so it's great to hear that you enjoyed it. And the fact that you took the time out of your day to read and comment really means a lot. :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. DUDE THAT IS SO EXCITING!! I'm off to read your story now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY OKAY OKAY SO I JUST FINISHED READING THE STORY. ASDFGHJKLKJHGFD OH MY WORRRRRRRRRD. <3 DUDE. YOU HAVE SERIOUS TALENT WITH WORDS. LIKE, WOW. THAT WAS POETRY. THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL. THAT WAS SOME SERIOUSLY GOOD WRITING. SO VIVID AND RAW AND HEARTBREAKINGLY HONEST.

      honestly idk if i have any words because like poof you took them all away wow <3

      NEVER STOP WRITING OMG YOU'RE AWESOME

      Delete
    2. Thank you. :) Like I told Heather, it means so much to me when you guys take the time to read my stories. I was always really unsure about whether this story actually worked or not, even after submitting it, so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete