* Write the stories you want to tell, not just the stories you want to read.
* Work hard and make your stories the best they can be.
* Know when to stick with it.
* Know when to quit.
* Giving up isn't always a bad thing, if you've done your best.
* Be crazy.
* Have fun.
* Pay attention to atmosphere—it's really important if you want to enjoy what you're writing.
* Check the logic of it.
* Nothing is wrong with middle grade.
* Nothing is wrong with YA.
* Nothing is wrong with any other age category/genre/tense/type of story. Do what you want.
* Your routine doesn't have to be like anyone else's.
* Productivity just for productivity's sake isn't worth it.
* WRITING IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL EVER DO.
I’m posting these here mostly so I won’t forget them. I might elaborate on a couple later, especially resolution #1, which I’ve been thinking about A LOT lately. Writing has been tough lately, but getting better.
These are really good things to keep in mind. I have trouble with numbers 4 and 5 sometimes. :) I'm glad writing is getting better for you!ReplyDelete
Me too. Even when I've done my best and it's just not working (for whatever reason), I still feel guilty.Delete
These are all such good things to remember:)ReplyDelete
These are good things to keep in mind! Good luck with your writing :)ReplyDelete
Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality
Thank you!! Good luck with your writing, too. :)Delete
Your first bullet point is so important.ReplyDelete
It's something I still struggle with--the stories I want to tell aren't always going to be like the stories I read/watch, and that's okay.Delete
These are so nice. I think it's always important to create some guidelines for ourselves, because it's easy to caught up in everyone else's rules when yours should be the most important.ReplyDelete
I was rereading one of my favorite how-to-write type books when I posted this, and I think it was my way of reminding myself that, in the end, you have to do what works for you. Which is a lot scarier, but hopefully it'll work out in the end.Delete