Saturday, October 8, 2016

5 Minute Reviews: The Magnificent Seven

 Let the record show that Vincent D’Onofrio as Jack Horne was almost my only reason for seeing this one, and he did not disappoint. Neither did anyone else--this movie was so much fun, guys. So. Much. Fun. I’m kind of surprised by how much I ended up loving it.

 First, though, let’s go over the mediocre stuff. The villain is named Bartholomew Bogue, so it’s a miracle anyone ever took him seriously, even if he is one step away from bathing in the blood of infants. The town he invades is called Rose Creek and looks a little...shinier than I’d expect an old West mining town to look. (Then again, I’m no expert on the old West.) And if the name Bartholomew Bogue didn’t tip you off, the story is not exactly morally complex.

 None of the mediocre stuff bothered me. The plot’s predictable, but watching it I never got the feeling that anyone thought they were reinventing the wheel. It’s the predictability that lets you relax and just enjoy the characters--like I said, my favorite is Jack Horne, but I also loved Faraday (who’s played by Chris Pratt), and they’re a couple side characters who I REALLY would have loved to see more of. In a nutshell: there’s not so good stuff mixed with very good stuff, and I think the very good stuff wins out in the end. I’ll be rewatching it once the DVD comes out.


6 comments:

  1. This sounds so good!! Loving this 5 minute review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! If you get a chance to see it, do--I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! I think if I'd watched more westerns, I'd have found it a bit more boring than I did, since the plot is predictable. But the characters are so much fun, and they're some really clever/funny bits of dialogue, too. Thanks for commenting.:)

      Delete
  3. This is great! I've been wondering if this movie was worth seeing. You usually can't go wrong with Chris Pratt. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can't. His character was so funny and charming.

      Delete